Sunday, June 27, 2010

what a week....

I put in more miles this week than the past several weeks, which is a surprise to me considering most days when I started my ride the heat index was well into the hundreds. I have a fire road that I enjoy riding, I can get in a good 15 - 17 mile ride with no traffic to worry about, I just put in my ear phones and get lost in the rhythm of the ride. Yesterday for some insane reason, I decided to ride mid day, I filled up my 100oz bladder, grabbed a couple of energy bars and headed off. After about 7 miles I started feeling pretty fatigued, which is odd because normally around 10miles I am in a good rhythm and really enjoying the ride. I knew it was hot, and I knew I had really pushed myself the day before, so I started thinking back a few weeks to my CPR First Aid class and thinking about our discussion on heat exhaustion. I knew I had not reached that point, however I knew that I could be pretty quickly if I didn't find a cool place to rest and try to cool down some. I found a small bit of shade under some tall pines, and decided this was going to have to do. I soaked my handkerchief with water and placed it over my head an neck and sat for several minutes, I was already feeling better. After an energy bar and good 10 minute break, I stretched my legs and decided to head back to the road entrance. Instead of pushing myself the way I did on the beginning of the ride, I took it easy on the way out.

We all ride for different reasons and at different skill levels. Each ride is a different adventure that we take with us that others may never understand. Yesterday made me thankful that I had taken the CPR First Aid class a few weeks back, because I was able to recognize the signs my body was giving me, and I knew what to do before I reached the point of exhaustion.

See you in the trails....

No comments: