Monday, March 24, 2008

yes, I am thankful

Ok, so this has nothing to do with mountain biking, it has to do with life, and how precious it is. All my life, my hero has been my Dad. Growing up his wisdom guided me through the daily trials of being a youth. As I grew older, and started to figure out that my Dad worked around the clock it seemed, his work ethic was instilled in me, and gave me a standard to patten myself after as an adult. At 61 years of age, my Dad could still climb a light-pole, and out perform most of his co-workers that were half his age.

A month ago, my Dad had to have two vertebrae in his back fused, and have a few rods put in tot hold them in place. Major back surgery, but he's tuff and he'll get through it with no problem. Less than 24 hours after going home, he was rushed to the emergency room in an ambulance. He had suffered multiple strokes.

It was hard to watch everything that he had to endure just for the physicians to determine what happened, and how to prevent it from happening again. After thirteen days in the hospital, he went home again... only to be rushed back again a day and a half later with pneumonia.

My Dad's now been in the hospital a day shy of a month. The strokes have left him with a speech problem, and he has trouble with some of his memories. However, after all he has endured, he continues to hold on, and try to deal with all of this and not give up.

I don't know where to start or how to say exactly what I want to say. My Dad has always been larger than life in my eyes. It's so hard to see him have to go through with this. I am thankful I still have him, that the Lord above didn't call him home. That may be selfish, but he's the only parent I have left and I guess I try to justify my selfishness because of that. A nurse that we have all become close with told me the other night, that most people that have been through what He has, lose their ability to swallow, walk, talk and/or so many other things. And with therapy, he can recover and be close to normal. I hope God gives him the strength and the courage to keep fighting.....

Yes, I am so very thankful. If you are reading this, take a moment look around and behold life around you. Smell the roses.... You never know how fast life can be turned upside down.

No comments: