Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tsali '08

The July 4th Tsali trip has become a ritual for the Knights of Sir Bikes a lot, and this year would be no exception. Well, except hardly any of the Knights went this year. I know what you are thinking, No Sir Bikes-a-lot? No Sir Toots? No Sir Launch-a-lot terrorizing every little jump and berm on Thompson? You got it!

I was bound and determined to keep the trip going. After loosing my best friend Milo two weeks before, I desperately needed some dirt-therapy and mountain air to help me clear my head. I kept the emails and phone calls going, and it ended up being Tony, Brannon and myself and then Wendy and Wai would meet us there.

We headed out early on Thursday in order to get a campsite there in Tsali, the truck was loaded down with camping gear and bikes. When we arrived however, there was not a campsite to be found, except at the Kickstand Lodge which was a motorcycle campground which promised we wouldn't have "this much fun" anywhere else... Let see, three mountain bikers, 35 Hariley riders.... yeah, we opted for plan C.

I have a great friend that lives about thirty minutes from Tsali, and he and his wife graciously took the three of us in. Beer on ice, Great food, Great friends, and comfortable beds and no line for the showers... Now this is ruffing it!! I still can't thank Shawn and Kathy enough. If you are ever in the Nantahala Area, please stop by their store and check it out - Bryant Bait and Tackle!


July 4th - Time to ride. After a awesome breakfast that Shawn and Kathy cooked up for us, we headed to Tsali. I was the only one that had ever rode Tsali of the group, and I had not hit Left Loop before, so Left Loop it was. We mounted up and moved out. Less than a mile in, Tony's back wheel caught a root and he went down and I became the first one to go over the bars for the day... FACE-PLANT!!!

Well, enough with the commentary, it ended up being a great trip, here's some pictures.
(Tony at the old Fire place on Tsali's Left Loop)(Brannon coming through a small rock section on a narrow ledge Tsali - Left Loop)(Wai, Wendy, Brannon, Tony and my Prophet taking a break)(Time to check the map)(Views from the Overlook, this makes climbing the mountain worth it!)(Brannon and Me at the top!)

Tony and I called it quits after the left loop, being flat landers I had done all my lungs could take for a day. So we headed to the bike wash, while Brannon and the girls hit the right loop - You guys are my heros!

Later that day, we hung out at the NOC and watched everyone playing in the rapids and enjoyed good food and scenery. The next day we got rained out and decided to pack it in, and stopped and rode Bent Creek. I'll do another post with those pics.

No comments: