Sunday, August 10, 2008

Downtown Wilmington on Sunday am

This past week was a bit more hectic at work than normal, lots of big shows going on that kept me at work when I was hoping to be peddling. This morning I woke up early as I always do and decided to put in another downtown Wilmington ride like I did a few weeks back. This ride is a ride of solitude for me, I like to get downtown before 7am, when the sun has only been up for a little while. You get to see tons of cool stuff, this morning was no exception, as soon as I parked my truck, a tug boat pushing this huge barge came down the river. (See photo below) I took this next picture from the same location and you can still see the fog in on the opposite side of the bank that has not burned off from the morning sun yet. (picture below) While I had my camera out, I figured I'd get a couple of the USS North Carolina, which is also on the opposite side of the river from downtown.(pictures below)


Downtown Wilmington early on Sunday mornings is so peaceful, however not as dead as you may think. There were lots of road cyclists out enjoying the morning air, several joggers and as always the people out for an early morning stroll or walking their dogs.

I was in a club meeting recently, and Erol was explaining his ideas about having a Cyclovia here in Wilmington. As I rode this morning, I gave this a lot of thought, downtown would be a perfect place. I rode through several sections of the historic downtown, up and down the old cobblestone roads, and there is so much to take in.

I had a road bike for a while, and I sold it because it only hung in my garage and never saw much use. Now, I find myself pondering another road bike, or maybe set my hardtail up as a commuter with some fat city tires, that would be nice...

See you in the trials...or the streets downtown.

No comments: