Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mid August ride at Blue Clay

I finally have most of the prizes and raffle items lined up for CANbike, so I have a little spare time again. This morning, I slept in, which is so unusual for me. It felt good to sleep in, but I missed my early Sunday a.m. ride downtown. It's just cool to be down on the river so early, and watch the people and be able to ride without fear of the lunatic drivers that crowd the streets around mid-day. I've been giving Erol's idea of Ciclovia much thought, and I think this would have a dramatic impact on our region. The downtown area is the perfect place!

Since I missed my morning ride, I met up with Brannon and we hit Blue Clay! First of all, the new parking lot is great! No more parking in mud, or fear of getting your vehicle stuck in ruts. The Blue Clay Bike Park project has come a very long way, and it's great to have had a role in it.

Today was the first time I have rode BC in a while, let's face it, it's the middle of summer and snakes are out. I wouldn't classify myself as having a fear of them, more like a huge respect for them. I've seen my fair share at BC, and I try to avoid them and let them go about their way. Today, Brannon spotted the only one, a black racer about two feet in length.

I didn't break out the camera, I just enjoyed my "SLOW" ride around the trails, and talking to friends that I haven't seen in a while. While talking with Peter, he commented on how mountain biking seems to pull people together outside of biking, and I couldn't agree more. Normally, and there are exceptions, mountain bikers are a friendly laid back group of riders, that love to share a story, catch up on old times, or lend a helping hand when needed.

Hopefully work will allow me some spare time this week to hit the trails, because I sure need all the spinning I can get in.

See you in the trails!

No comments: